MACK JONES’S 10 RULES to LIVE BY
Shared by his granddaughter, Mackenzie, at the funeral service.
Mack had a lot of good wisdom and rules to live by, so this isn't everything you need to know, but it's a good start.
1. Wear Good Socks - You need to wear proper socks and keep your feet warm. Whether in a blind or on the couch, a good pair of socks will keep you warm and feeling your best.
2. Breakfast Is Important - Bacon, eggs, and toast with grape jam all set the stage for a better day. And, if you are in a pinch for time, there is no shame in a drive-through biscuit and coffee.
3. Take Care Of Your Things - Take the time to clean off your shoes, fold your clothes, wipe down the coffee pot. Your stuff will last longer and be more pleasurable to use.
4. Take Your Time - Take the time to pack up the car neatly, press your clothes, fuel up the truck, drive the speed limit, and make sure everyone has an umbrella. Rushing around never makes anything better or more fun.
5. But Don't Waste Your Time - Every day you wake up is a good day, so get out and do the things you like. And, if you need some extra time back in your day to get to the good stuff, there is no shame in microwaving diner, using up a roll of paper towels, or a package of pre-cooked bacon.
6. Safety First - You can still have fun and be safe. Pack up your life jackets for a day on the boat, wear your seatbelt in the truck, buy good shoes for running. It's just good sense.
7. Nature Is Wonderful and Animals Are Fascinating - Deer and turkeys live interesting and complex lives. Any time you get to spend with them in the woods is time well spent. Be respectful of the beauty of nature, you will get back as much as you give.
8. You Don't Have To Follow The Crowd If the Crowd Is Being Stupid - You know what is best for yourself, and you don't need to go along with something if you don't feel like it's right. Educate yourself, use your brain, and do what you think is right.
9. Friendship Is Important - Mack loved his friends and never turned down the chance to see them. Putting in a little effort to see your old friends, or even make some new ones, is one of the best ways to spend your time.
10. Add A Little Delight - Bake a couple pound cakes and take them to your office on a Tuesday, buy that blender you saw on TV, put new feathers on your arrows. You don't need an occasion to buy yourself a present or eat that ice cream cone, "because it's Thursday" is good enough.